Saturday, March 20, 2010

When the current generation of game consoles came out (PS3, 360, Wii), I said that there was nothing wrong with the last gen (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube) and the new consoles were happening too early. When I first heard that the NEXT generation of consoles will be here by 2012 at the earliest, I thought the exact same thing. Then I saw this NVIDIA demo.



I'm guessing that the quality of graphics is going to hit a ceiling within the coming years, where they just can't possibly get any better, or if they can, not better enough to really make a noticeable difference. I read an article a couple years ago speculating that the next big thing is going to be physics. Future gaming computers will not only need a graphics card, but also a separate card made specifically for handling the physics in games. So instead of having your computer slow to a crawl when a dozen people are fighting on the screen at once, computers will be able to handle tens of thousands of people.



1 comment:

  1. I just upgraded my desktop card to a Geforce GTX 275 co-op, it has an additional onboard GTS 250 specifically dedicated to physics calculations so that the CPU doesn't have to crunch them, only some games take advantage of it right now but I figured it would be worth it in the long run, its kind of how games were with multicore processors a few years ago

    ReplyDelete