Saturday, June 19, 2010

I wasn't planning on really posting anything significant during my time at camp, but this is just too embarrassing and depressing, and I have to share.

Study Shows That Obama Should Use Simple Words and Treat Americans Like They're Children

President Obama’s speech on the gulf oil disaster may have gone over the heads of many in his audience, according to an analysis of the 18-minute talk released Wednesday.

Tuesday night’s speech from the Oval Office of the White House was written to a 9.8 grade level, said Paul J.J. Payack, president of Global Language Monitor. The Austin, Texas-based company analyzes and catalogues trends in word usage and word choice and their impact on culture.

Though the president used slightly less than four sentences per paragraph, his 19.8 words per sentence “added some difficulty for his target audience,” Payack said. He singled out this sentence from Obama as unfortunate: “That is why just after the rig sank, I assembled a team of our nation’s best scientists and engineers to tackle this challenge—a team led by Dr. Steven Chu, a Nobel Prize-winning physicist and our nation’s secretary of energy.”

“A little less professorial, less academic and more ordinary,” Payack recommended. “That’s the type of phraseology that makes you (appear) aloof and out of touch.”


I want everyone to read the underlined sentences again.

1) He singled out this sentence from Obama as unfortunate: “That is why just after the rig sank, I assembled a team of our nation’s best scientists and engineers to tackle this challenge—a team led by Dr. Steven Chu, a Nobel Prize-winning physicist and our nation’s secretary of energy.”

When Americans elect dumbshits like Joe Barton, then it's no wonder they think this is a difficult sentence. Here's Joe Barton convincing himself that he's smarter than that Nobel Prize winning physicist Obama mentioned.



Can anybody even tell what point he was trying to make? I can't tell if he was arguing against global warming, or arguing for creationism. Or arguing that God put the oil in America specifically for us?

"My third grade education sure showed him."

2) “That’s the type of phraseology that makes you (appear) aloof and out of touch.”

This confuses me more than anything. How the fuck does having a vocabulary of words with more than two syllables make you appear "out of touch?" Smart people know things. I don't want a retarded person running the most powerful nation on the fucking planet. I want someone who is really smart. That is why I voted for Barack Obama, and that is why the thought of Sarah Palin in the White House sends shivers down my spine. I know I could not run the country, and I want someone in there who is smarter than me. It's very sad that the nation that walked on the moon now sees intelligence as a fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment