Friday, August 26, 2011

Slavoj Žižek

Don't know why it took me so long to discover this guy. From what I've been exposed to thus far, he seems like sort of a radical leftist realist. Add that to his eccentricity, and you get one crazy motherfucker. He has a book where he argues that although leftist revolutions of the 20th century like Lenin or Mao ended in brutality and bloodshed, they were initially based upon decent principles, and we need to continue striving for them anyway despite the violence, because hey, we'll get it right eventually. What the fuck dude. I am so reading this.

Here's a talk on "What does it mean to be a revolutionary today?" that I'm about to watch. And here he is talking about slightly less dangerous (but no less interesting) ideas. Žižek ran for president of Slovenia once. Can you imagine what a country would be like if this guy ran it? I CAN'T EITHER!

No comments:

Post a Comment