Sunday, March 13, 2011

This is what democracy looks like.



"We must close union offices, confiscate their money and put their leaders in prison. We must reduce workers salaries and take away their right to strike."


-Adolf Hitler, May 2, 1933

100,000+. Largest protest since Vietnam. Media ignores it.

My aunt in Madison asked me over facebook almost nonchalantly to come up and see this today. I decided to do it entirely on a whim. I'm sure she was just as surprised as I was. This issue itself does not directly affect me as an Illinoisan, and that fact carried over while I was there. I didn't chant or pump my fist to a drum beat, or hold any signs, or really do anything an actual protester would typically do. I was just there. I felt like I was an observer. And it was amazing. I really feel like this is bigger than unions. This was the beginning of the liberal pushback against the Tea Party and the corporate psuedo-fascists who control them. And I'm extremely grateful to have been a part of it. Here are the photos I took. And here's a couple videos I found. In the first video, if you pause at about 12 seconds in, we were somewhere on the right side of the screen.



No comments:

Post a Comment