Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Pat Tillman



Pat Tillman was a professional football player who gave up his career after September 11 to fight as a U.S. Ranger. In 2004, he was killed in Afghanistan by friendly fire. The military wanted some propaganda points, and so they initially lied and said he was killed by enemy combatants instead. But the family wouldn't shut up, and the truth eventually came out.

He was also an atheist. His brother (who gave up a professional baseball career to also become a Ranger) was interviewed by Bill Maher a few days ago. The part at about 5:20 made me want to fucking cheer. I won't spoil it for you so just go ahead and watch.



And in case you're at a place where you can't watch this, John McCain said at Pat's funeral, "You will see Pat again when the loving God reunites us all with our loved ones."

Richard Tillman: "Thanks for coming. Pat's a fucking champion, and always will be. Just think he'd want me to say this, he's not with God, he's fucking dead, he's not religious, so... Thanks for your thoughts, but he's fucking dead."

He defends what he said in the interview: "I found it offensive, I don't go to your church and say 'this is bullshit', so don't come to my brother's service and tell me he's with God, he's simply not with fucking God."

No comments:

Post a Comment