Thursday, May 20, 2010

Anime Part 2

I haven't really started anything else from the last post yet. But thanks to the Recommending Anime Thread on Something Awful, I've found things that look shit loads better, and I think they all deserve a new post. I'm going through the original 1979 Gundam series right now, and while the animation and sound quality is complete shit and the characters seem to be cardboard cutouts at the point I'm at (still at the beginning), it still looks like has a lot of potential. I've never paid attention to any Gundam series before, and the action sequences are surprisingly technical. They don't treat the viewers like a bunch of idiots like other shows I've seen. I mean they put in lagrangian points, reentry blackouts, etc. Real shit. It's incredibly awesome, and I'm not surprised in any way that the series bored the hell out of me when I was 12.



I really want space operas. There's probably over a dozen different Gundam series, but there are other things I've discovered that look really fucking amazing too.

Macross


I'm still confused as to where I'm supposed to start on this series. There's like seven movies, and then one show that's sort of part of the series, but not really? All I know is that I want to watch it very badly. The people on Something Awful who recommended this agreed that it's one of the best animes ever made, and I've never heard of it before. Some sort of alien technology was recovered from a crash, and humans were able to reverse engineer it for their own use of blowing the fuck out of things. This video is going to be boring at first, but wait for the action scenes. Holy balls.



Legend of Galactic Heroes


This series sound like it's exactly what I'm looking for. As one goon put it, "the ship battles aren't dynamic space dogfights like Macross or Gundam, or even like Star Trek - they're more naval-esque with formations of ships lining up and firing barrages at each other while their commanders shout orders."



Planetes


Planetes takes place in the year 2076. It's not about epic space battles. It's about a small team collecting space debris orbiting earth. It's apparently really good at keeping things realistic. The youtube comments say this is a terrible trailer and that it doesn't do the show justice.



Zeta Gundam


I'm really excited for this. It takes place a few years after the original series, and many of the characters are still around. With the war over, the Earth Federation is taking more steps to stamp out any opposition. When rights start being taken away, a new rebellion arises.



I feel like such a nerd for spending so much time researching this stuff. Now I'm able to better understand why the lives of anime nerds are completely consumed by this shit. I don't know how the hell I'm going to watch all of this.

1 comment:

  1. the original Gundam series is great, I watched the whole series back when they had it on Cartoon Network after school, the character can be a bit stiff at times but I think thats just because of the age of the show, but the overall plot is worth it

    the one anime that I have been interested in but never watched was Robotech, I played the game that came out in the last console generation, and it was pretty fun and seemed like the series had a good story to it, I also bought a few novels based in the universe but never had a chance to start them

    ReplyDelete