Saturday, May 15, 2010

Anime

I've always had mixed feelings about anime. On the one hand, I have trouble taking it seriously. The general style annoys the hell out of me. In almost every single anime I've ever seen, it seems like the animators are just lazy. It looks like every other cell is missing, leaving the flow of the animation looking dumb and clunky. What the hell is that? Is it a budget issue or something? Do they do it on purpose?

On the other hand, anime has given me hours upon hours of happiness. I know I'm not the only person who sat through classes every single day anticipating the moment I can get home and see what's going to happen on the next episode of Dragonball ZEEEEEE!! That show and Pokemon are solely responsible for bringing this art medium to America. I never really paid attention to anime beyond those. I figured nothing could possibly be better. And the anime fanbase in general is pretty annoying and weird. I did occasionally catch Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star, but I missed two out of every three episodes that aired, so what was the point?

Well I've had a spontaneous change of heart recently. I figure that I read American graphic novels about zombies and Batman, so this isn't really much different, right? I finally finished Cowboy Bebop about a decade after its release, and it was pretty friggin' amazing. Then I wanted more.

When it comes to anime, it's really hit or miss. I heard Bleach was really good. I tried the first few episodes, but I'm not really feeling it. It just seems like another version of Naruto where they're allowed to say "bastard" once an episode. So I did a bit of internet research, and after a few ADTRW threads and about a dozen neckbeard-written "TOP BEST ANIMEZ EVER" lists from google, I'm going to try to devote my time to the ones that look interesting to me.

Baccano!



Each of the stories in the series involves several unrelated plots intersecting and crossing each other as events spiral farther and farther out of control. Immortal alchemists, mafia operated speakeasies, and many other elements of pulp fiction mashed together for a world straight out of the movies.

I'm about halfway through this right now and I'm fucking loving it. It's the only anime I've ever seen with an actual plot. The timeline jumps around everywhere like Pulp Fiction or Momento, and you don't really know what's going on most of the time. It has something to do with mobsters and Satan and some immortality elixir or something. And it actually makes laugh. Most jokes I see in anime are lost in translation for me and just come off as retarded, but this is genuinely funny. Real dark humor. Serial killer humor.



Berserk



Guts, a man who calls himself "The Black Swordsman" looks upon his days serving as a member of a group of mercenaries, the Band of the Hawk, nicknamed "the Grim Reaper of the Battlefield." Led by an ambitious, ruthless, and intelligent man named Griffith, together they battle their way into the royal court, and are forced into a fate that may change their entire lives.

Homygawd this series just looks badass. This fucker disabled embedding so you have to watch it on youtube, but holy god this fucking trailer.

Blue Gender



Yuji Kaido was diagnosed with a serious disease and cryogenically frozen. He wakes up more than 20 years later--and Earth is nothing like what he remembers. A race of alien bugs called the Blue have taken over the planet, and a few select humans have retreated to the space station Second Earth. Yuji is taken back to Second Earth, where he learns that he and the other sleepers will be instrumental in defeating the Blue. And his relationship with one member of the recovery squad only serves to complicate things.



Claymore




In a world rife with deadly creatures called "youma", a young silver eyed woman, Clare, works on behalf of an organisation that trains female youma halfbreeds into warriors with the ability to destroy these creatures. Considered a rogue for picking up a stray child & almost losing herself to her youma side by "Awakening", she is constantly assigned rather dangerous missions...



Otaku Approved! ~ ^_^ ~


Black Lagoon



Okajima Rokuro is a Japanese businessman…in a town full of Japanese businessmen. His normal day consists of social drinking with clients and being kicked around by his bosses. He finally gets a break though, as he’s sent by his company to the tropical seas of Eastern China to deliver a disc…only his boat gets hijacked by a band of mercenaries that were hired to steal it. “Rock” (as he is newly dubbed by his captors) catches the interest of the only female merc “Revy” as she thinks he’s worth a ransom, taking him hostage. However, the disc turns out to be more trouble than its worth, and complicates things both for Rock, and the mercenaries known as Black Lagoon.



Lupin the Third



Arsene Lupin III is the grandson of the master thief Arsene Lupin. With his cohorts Daisuke Jigen and Goemon Ishikawa XIII and his love interest Fujiko Mine, he pulls off the greatest heists of all time while always escaping the grasp of Inspector Koichi Zenigata.

Lupin III is basically what Cowboy Bebop ripped off of, except it takes itself ten times less seriously. It was on Adult Swim a few years ago but I was only able to catch a few episodes. What I did see was amazing. Lupin really likes boobs -- COMEDY GOLD.

No comments:

Post a Comment