Tuesday, April 12, 2011

LIZERD DERP.



Click for high res.

Progress report for a drawing I’m working on right now. I haven’t even begun shading the head yet, or messed with the different colored scales, and I gotta work on that area around the eye, and I’m not satisfied with the glares on the tongue. I’m not entirely sure what I’m going to do for the background yet. I might just spread around some charcoal, that always looks nice. I’m really excited. I know it’s pretty good so far, but whenever I get full of myself, I just do a google search for “Albrecht Durer,” and he always puts me in my place. I wish I could be Albrecht Durer. I want to make love to the corpse of Albrecht Durer, is what I’m saying.

What I find most interesting about working on this piece is how much I’m learning. I’m not talking about art skills, I’m learning about the lizard itself. You’ll notice the scales below and around the nostril sort of look cluttered and misshapen (the scales around the eye though are purposely misshapen to give the illusion of contour… to the best of my ability, at least). That area around the nose is where I first started. I was trying to figure out how the scales worked. By the time I got to the area below the mouth, you’ll notice everything is much more uniform and organized. That’s where I started to pick up on it. I explained this to my teacher and asked if she thought I should redo the scales around the nose, but she told me they still look like they fit, so I’m going to keep it. Constructive criticism encouraged.

One final thought: fuck the human figure. Good god. So hard. I’m sticking with animals for now okay. I painted a spider a couple months back and I think I do well with animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment