Monday, April 18, 2011

Time's 2011 'Most influential people' poll

Link

…Do they know 2011 isn’t even halfway over yet?

Five out of the top ten are pop stars. Meanwhile, Gabrielle Giffords is 24, Michelle Obama is 32, Hillary Clinton is 44, and the President of the United States is 45.



It’s not all hopeless though. Mohamed Bouazizi is on the list. I know! Not only is he on the list, but he’s all the way up to 16. He’s the Tunisian who set himself on fire and single-handedly sparked the most widespread democratic upheaval we’re likely to see in our lifetimes. I know I should shove a spoon into my eyeball upon the realization of Lady Gaga being more influential than a fucking worldwide revolution, but I’ve learned that I need to lower my standards at this point. When Susan Boyle is at number 3, I’m going to take what I can get.

And Christopher Hitchens is number eight! I didn’t even know the general public knew who he was! I like what Time put down under his occupation once you click on his name: “writer, atheist.” I immediately went to Jon Stewart, and was surprised to find that it didn’t say “Occupation: Jew.”

Making myself laugh prevents me from crying.

No comments:

Post a Comment