Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Thoughts on: Tunnel Blanket by This Will Destroy You

So TWDY released a new CD a couple weeks ago. Just had a listen.





Even though post-rock is probably my favorite genre of music, it really annoys me sometimes that it's so resistant to change. There aren't a lot of post-rock bands that try new things. Well, TWDY basically just threw everything they've done in the past out the window. And they deserve a lot of respect for risking that, even if it turns out you're not a fan of this CD.



This Will Destroy You has been around for a while, but this is only their second real album. Their EPs are definitely good enough to stand on their own, and in many ways Young Mountain is even better than their only other proper album in my opinion. But if you're expecting Young Mountain 2, then look elsewhere. It's been five years since that epic release, and it's given them a long time to evolve.



Tunnel Blanket is different. Considering the direction they went with Field Studies, and how much I loved it, I guess I shouldn't be as surprised as I was. But it's very different. They've abandoned the uplifting and soothing guitar riffs reminiscent of Explosions in the Sky (the reason I started listening to them) and embraced a darker style more similar to Godspeed You! Black Emperor. It's a bit like Godspeed, but less strings and more ambience. Very Sigur Ros, in fact.



Post-rock is inherently minimalist already, but this CD borders on drone. I'm not entirely on board with it yet. But it's still incredibly interesting and beautiful, and definitely worth checking out. It seems perfect for those late nights when you're feeling introspective and alone. I'm going to continue listening to it for a bit, and hope something clicks.



Here's a live performance of a song from the album, Black Dunes.



No comments:

Post a Comment