Thursday, May 7, 2009

Thursday Music Post - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds


I only discovered Nick Cave recently, and I hate myself for not find out about him earlier. He's a lot like my second favorite band Murder By Death, but without the folksy Johnny Cash element.

His CD Murder Ballads is a god damn horrifying concept album about murder. It has such uplifting classics like "O'Malley's Bar," which is about a man who goes on a killing spree while struggling on the question of whether he has free will, and then "Stagger Lee," about a man named Stagger Lee who walks into a bar, shoots the bartender in the head four times, and then forces a pimp to suck his dick before shooting him. Good stuff.

"Where the Wild Roses Grow" keeps it simple. It's about a man who courts a girl before cracking her skull open with a rock.



He has 14 albums. I only have two so far, the other one being Let Love In. While still covering some sad topics, it's thankfully not nearly as dark as Murder Ballads. I need to get a hold of his other CDs, he writes some amazing lyrics.



"Red Right Hand" was in Dumb and Dumber

No comments:

Post a Comment