Friday, January 8, 2010

Fareed Zakaria

I think I posted about this guy over a year ago, but I'll do it again because of the clip at the bottom.


Fareed Zakaria is the smartest journalist in the country. He has an unhinged passion for politics, always keeping America's history in mind, and how the present plays into it. I've been following less and less news since the end of the 2008 election, as I'm sure everyone has, but I always force myself every single sunday to sit down and watch him. He has an inhuman ability to fly above all the partisan dickwaving, only covering the things that are important. He's still talking about the wars. Seriously.

He is the author of The Post-American World. I haven't read it yet, and I am extremely ashamed of this. I hear it's brilliant. He sums up its premise in this here clip.



Here's Barack Obama with a copy.

Out of all the widely different opinions on TV, Zakaria's is the one I trust the most. He's a self-described centrist, supporting Ronald Reagan in 1980, while supporting Barack Obama in 2008. He believes different viewpoints are needed in different times. My respect for him is like that of the fire of a thousand suns. I want to be him.

Unlike other expert panels you see on television, here he gathers an expert panel with actual experts, to discuss Barack Obama's first year. It's an extremely interesting conversation, and should be required watching for every American. It gets cut off at the end of this clip, but continues if you download the GPS podcast on iTunes. It's the 1/3 episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment