Tuesday, February 15, 2011

American reporter beaten and gang raped in the streets of Cairo. Internet laughs.


CBS statement

On Friday, Feb. 11, the day Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak stepped down, CBS chief foreign correspondent Lara Logan was covering the jubilation in Tahrir Square for a "60 Minutes" story when she and her team and their security were surrounded by a dangerous element amidst the celebration. It was a mob of more than 200 people whipped into frenzy.

In the crush of the mob, she was separated from her crew. She was surrounded and suffered a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating before being saved by a group of women and an estimated 20 Egyptian soldiers. She reconnected with the CBS team, returned to her hotel and returned to the United States on the first flight the next morning. She is currently in the hospital recovering.

There will be no further comment from CBS News and correspondent Logan and her family respectfully request privacy at this time.


Naturally, when rape is brought to the national spotlight, we're going to get idiots who know nothing about rape talk about rape.

LA Weekly blogger Simone Wilson fails miserably at hiding her hatred for Logan. After describing Logan as a "gutsy stunner" with "Hollywood good looks," and mentioning she's "blonde" for no reason, she brings up Logan's tabloid sex life, as if it's even remotely relevant right now. What's most outrageous of all was her final words -- "nobody's invincible."

SEE LOGAN? NO WOMAN CAN AVOID RAPE FOREVER.

But it gets worse. Here's a quote about Lara Logan from a prestigious conservative site called "Mofo Politics" (really?) from a couple weeks ago.

"I would totally rape her."



Hilarious. That's not from an idiot commenter. That's the article.

In light of what's been released tonight, you'd think this person would find the small amount of humanity in himself to apologize. He did not.

"EDIT: Super funny joke deleted in light of the sad news that Lara Logan actually was raped in Egypt. Can I just say, however, that I sooo totally called this."


As a male, let me say something. I'm sorry. I have no idea what it's like to be a woman. I've never had to endure sexist comments or cat calls that make me feel like less of a human being. I've never had to live with the realization that not even that long ago, my gender was not allowed to vote. The thought of carrying pepper spray on me when I'm walking around at night has never seemed like a useful or relevant idea to me. I have no idea how women must feel when stories like this pop up in the headlines. I've never feared rape. I'm able to empathize to the greatest extent I can, but no matter what I do or say, I will never be able to fully understand. To trivialize and joke about what has just happened to Lara Logan on the very night we find out about it is beyond evil. It is wholly inhuman. When thousands of women are raped throughout the world every few minutes, this animal's first reaction to it when it's brought to national attention is to belittle it and make comments about how he thinks the person who was raped is sexually attractive. I have no idea who this "person" is, but it brings me an untold amount of comfort knowing that his hatred for humanity will likely cause him to die miserable and entirely alone.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, author. Hearing this story sent thrills down my spine as a woman. There are animals in this world and it is most uplifting to see there are men ready to defend us. Real men. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel disgusted by how some men act and treat women if they only knew the fears women face every day.I feel really bad for her because she will have to live with it for the rest of her life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pray for her and hope that she will heal from this terrible experience. It hurts my heart to know that people are so evil to do something like this to people who have not done them no harm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a man I find this behavior absolutely disgusting. Woman aren't objects for our desires. No woman should be mistreated in any way. All those men who raped her should be killed.

    ReplyDelete