Friday, February 11, 2011

President Mubarak of Egypt has stepped down from power

It's still hard for me to believe. The most powerful nation in the Arab world (Iran isn't considered Arab I guess?) has been overthrown in a matter of weeks. This is the most significant event in the middle east in the last forty or fifty years.

Now the ball's up in the air. The military has control of the country. I'm not entirely convinced that the military is quite as 'good' as we've been led to believe though. Mubarak was a military man. The military benefited from his regime. For weeks, they just stood on the sidelines and allowed things to happen. I think they were watching. They realized which way the wind was blowing, and so they hopped onto the right train. And don't get me wrong, I'm sure we're going to see free elections. But behind the scenes, I'm fully expecting them not to easily give up all the power they've had for the past thirty years. I'm hopeful, but still a little worried.

Obama's response to Mubarak's resignation was fantastic, as expected.









1 comment: