Monday, November 30, 2009


I bought this book this weekend. Every once in a while you come across a book that helps change your perspective on the world just a tiny little bit. I'm not that far into this yet, but this seems like it could be one of them.

Ishmael Beah was brainwashed with propaganda and drugs when he was 13 years old, and became a soldier. It's just so unbelievably heartbreaking, because one moment he and his friends are learning rap lyrics and dance moves and generally doing what kids do, and the next moment their parents are dead, their village is annihilated, and they're running for their god damn lives. He was twelve. It just reinforces my belief that we have absolutely no right to complain about anything, ever.
We were almost at the end of the clearing when we heard the whizzing of another rocket grenade approaching. We sped up our steps and took dives into the bush before the grenade landed, followed by several rounds of machine gun fire. The people who were right behind us were not so lucky as we were. The RPG caught up with them. One of them caught the fragments of the RPG. He cried loudly and screamed that he was blind. No one dared to go out and help him. He was halted by another grenade that exploded, causing his remains and blood to sprinkle like rain on the nearby leaves and bushes. All of it happened too fast.

As soon as we had crossed the clearing, the rebels sent some of their men to catch those who had made it into the bush. They started chasing and shooting after us. We ran for more than an hour without stopping. It was unbelievable how fast and long we ran. I didn't sweat or get tired at all. Junior was in front of me behind Talloi. Every few seconds, my brother would call my name, to make sure I wasn't left behind. I could hear the sadness in his voice, and each time I answered him, my voice trembled. Gibrilla, Kaloko, and Khalilou were behind me. Their breathing was heavy and I could hear one of them hissing, trying not to cry. Talloi was a very fast runner, even when we were younger. But on that evening we were able to keep up with him. After an hour or maybe even more of running, the rebels gave up chase and returned to Mattru Jong while we continued on.


The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Ishmael Beah
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political HumorHealth Care Crisis


I love how understanding my parents are. After my dad asked what country this took place in, he went out and said Sierra Leone was not a country. I mean, I'd never heard of it either, but I'm not going to outright claim I know something about a place I know nothing about. Chris said that our mom thought this was part of my "Obama phase." It would probably make me very sad if I didn't find it so funny. Looking over the racism in her comment, it's good to know she doesn't think I'm capable of forming opinions yet and I'm still going through "phases" at 22 years old. Please don't say anything, Uncle John.

No comments:

Post a Comment