Friday, March 20, 2009

Here's an insane but interesting "Sky is Falling!" article. It draws on the similarities of America's current situation, and Germany's Weimar Republic. The Weimar Republic was the government that took over Germany immediately following World War I. It attempted to establish a liberal democracy, after the German right pounded on the drums for war and caused their economy to completely collapse. It failed upon the rise of Hitler. This article pointed out a lot of resemblances concerning Germany's right and America's right, such as taking deliberate action to make the leadership fail out of a "masturbatory lust for the return to power," or pointing the finger not at the right wing that caused the mess, but at some obscure "government".

Now, no rational person should agree with this dude's conclusion. I think he's overblowing the financial crisis just a tad, and we're probably not going to see Republicans go around the streets kicking the shit out of political opponents any time soon. The rise and fall of fascism was two generations ago. I have faith in humanity, I think we've matured a lot since then. We should just look at this article on a psychological level. I think it's interesting how human beings repeat certain things when the conditions are somewhat similar.

A bit off topic, but up until recently, I've resisted calling Fox News "propaganda". It's only conservatively biased, I mean at least they weren't flat out making shit up, right? Well I guess I just haven't watched it in a while, because there's really no other name you can call this.



I hope Glenn Beck launches a revolution. Then I'd be able to legally shoot him.

No comments:

Post a Comment